5 reasons to do the CrossFit Open
Updated: Jan 30
What is the Open?
"If you’re new to CrossFit, welcome! We hope you’ll join us for this three-week challenge and beyond.
For everyday athletes and seasoned competitors, the young and the “old,” ... looking for a new challenge and those who are just curious to know what this community is all about — the Open is for anyone."
The Open usually involves three workouts over three weeks. The workouts are released every week and you can watch the live announcement streamed on the CrossFit Games website. After the workout is released, you get 4 days to do the workout at CrossFit Thao Dien, being watched/scored by a judge, and then submit your best score online. We usually do these in classes on a Saturday. The top athletes in each country then get invited to the CrossFit Games (e.g. our very own Coach Trang represented Vietnam in the July 2019 CrossFit Games)
Why Join In?
"If the idea of competition makes you nervous, don't let it hold you back from signing up. The real magic of the open lies in the environment, not your scores. There's excitement, anticipation, loads of positive energy, and a level of support that is tough to match on a regular day to day basis." - CrossFit LA
1. Most importantly, it's really good fun! As a community we come together to cheer each other on and share a sweaty gym floor!
2. It can add real meaning and purpose to your training. The Open gives you some interesting data on your performance, which can be a guide for setting realistic goals for the following year. We promise you that you will be amazed at your progress if you continue with your CrossFit training and retest the following year!
3. You are very likely to do achieve your "Firsts"... With the added motivation, the Open is when we see the most achievements from athletes... the first hand stand push up, pull up, toes-to-bar etc.
4. If you’ve been doing CrossFit for a year or more, all it takes is a little competition to really bring out the best in you. It’s easy to lose intensity in your workouts if you never push past what you think you can do. It can also be a harsh reality check if you’ve been coasting in class or not really sticking to standards for the sake of speed. Perhaps your takeaway will be that you need to count your reps properly, work towards virtuosity in your movements, or at the very least, achieve full range of motion on your reps!
5. It's an opportunity for any athlete of any level to be challenged and participate in a competition. Every CrossFit box in the world can take part... that's over 15,000 boxes! There's no other sport in the world where you get an opportunity to perform at the same event as the highest level performers. And there's is always a scaled version to cater for all fitness levels.
How do I prepare?
Simple... Commit to your health and fitness with a good diet, sleep pattern, and train regularly to develop your skills, strength and stamina. Come to class, and work hard, at least 3-5 times per week to see real progress! By making great progress you will be more motivated to keep training, creating a healthier and happier you!
To find out more and sign up visit: https://open.crossfit.com/
Good Luck with your training and we look forward to doing the Open with you!
By CrossFit Thao Dien Coaching Team